Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Glass Is Half Empty

I have to admit that my attitude at the moment about my my diet really could use some improvement. It reminds me of one of my elementary school report cards where I got an N (meaning needs improvement) on my attitude towards school.

Duh. I had a crappy attitude because I hated school (I was bullied mercilessly, and the school did nothing) and I wanted nothing more than to be doing something else.

I feel the same way about this diet.

I know that I should be approaching this project with a positive and empowering attitude. A good attitude plays a big role in success, but at the moment it's just hard to see this with much of a positive light. I'm grumpy, I'm tired, and I'm hungry. Yes, I'm seeing progress at the scale, but it seems to be so little progress considering how uncomfortable I feel.

I know, just keep sticking to it, and it will get better.

I don't like dieting, I don't like exercising, and I don't like drinking water to the point of having to pee every ten minutes. I'm doing this not because I want to, but because I realize that I have to. My fat is getting in my way, and therefore I need to do something about it.

There are a lot of things in life that people have to do, whether or not they want to do them. At the moment, my diet feels very much like yet another mandatory activity. Nobody likes paying their taxes, but they do it because there are negative consequences for failing to do so. Many people don't enjoy going to work every day, but they do it anyway, because they have to make a living.

Even though it's not fun, this is something that has to be done. I can no longer sit around and make excuses about why I'm so fat. I can't continue to pretend that not being able to see my feet when I stand up straight isn't a problem. I can't pretend I'm just overweight. I'm obese, and it's time to get serious, quit making excuses, and do what I'm supposed to be doing, irregardless of whether or not I like it.

Yeah, the glass is definitely half empty with regards to this diet. Too bad. I'm not going to lose weight feeling sorry for myself, or dreaming about it. The only way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more on an ongoing basis.

Quit whining, Oinkstop. It's not very flattering, and even more boring to read.

No comments: