Thursday, May 10, 2007

Limited Resources

One of the things I hate about dieting is the fact that food, or rather calories, must be treated like a limited resource. I spend a great deal of time planning, and thinking about, what I'm going to eat, when I'm going to eat it, and how much I'm going to eat. I plan, plan, plan.

Since calories are so precious, I don't like to waste them on just anything.

I also like to try new foods.

This afternoon, I decided to try a new item from Schwan's, the frozen food delivery company. Yesterday, we bought a box of Grilled Cheese Toastwiches, which basically look like a cross between a Kellogg's Pop-Tart and a grilled cheese sandwich. I love cheese. I love Pop-Tarts. I couldn't think of anything that could be better. My mouth watered in anticipation when we bought the box, and I had a relatively light breakfast so I could have one of these beauties for lunch.

I was imagining flaky dough, creamy cheese, and a whole lot of deliciousness. I figured a 280-calorie pastry had to be good. How could it not be?

Well, in honesty, it wasn't that great. The pastry wasn't bad or anything, but it certainly didn't live up to my expectations. It was just rather unexciting. I can see where the pastry could have a place in my freezer as an emergency lunch, but it's not something that I really want to spend my calories on if I don't have to.

After the first bite, I thought about putting it to the side, so I could eat something better tasting. I decided against it, simply because I didn't want to make something else. Between it and a large bowl of fresh strawberries, I had plenty to eat, but I couldn't help but feel a little shortchanged.

At least I still have 590 calories to spend on dinner.

No comments: