Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The "Not Really" Stage of Dieting

Since my weight loss was noticed for the first time yesterday, I've been thinking about all the usual things people say when you are dieting. I've realized that I'm firmly in the "not really" stage of my diet.

Here's what I mean by the "not really" stage of dieting:

Skinny Friend: Wow, you look like you've lost weight. Don't you just feel great?

Me: Not really.

Skinny Friend: Well you definitely look better, have you noticed your clothes fitting better?

Me: Not really.

Skinny Friend: Well how is your exercise plan going? I just love how I feel after I exercise, don't you?

Me: Not really.

Skinny Friend: I always have so much more energy and I feel so much better when I eat right and exercise. Haven't you noticed having a lot more energy?

Me: Not really.

I know that when you start eating right, exercising and losing weight, you are supposed to feel a difference. The truth is, I haven't. I'm still tired all the time, my clothes don't fit any better, and I don't feel energized. After I exercise, I don't feel great, I just feel hot, sweaty, and tired. I don't sleep any better, I don't feel more optimistic, and I don't have bundles of energy propelling me forward into my day.

The truth is, other than the numbers changing for the better on the scale, the only difference I've noticed is that I feel hungry a lot of the time. I realize this is all good for me, and I'm doing the right thing, but when people ask me if I'm happy about this entire process, I have to answer honestly, not really.

No comments: