Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Scale...of...Fortune!

The ubiquitous "they" say that one shouldn't weigh every day, because day-to-day fluctuations in your weight can get discouraging.

That's definitely true. Lately, I feel like stepping on the scale has become a wheel of chance. I'm up, I'm down, I'm up, I'm up, I'm down, and I'm down. It takes a lot of effort not to get discouraged when I've followed my eating plan and still my weight is up.

This morning was one of those morning. Yesterday I was down. This morning, my weight was up almost two pounds.

Rats.

I realize that the trend is going in the right direction and that this is a normal fluctuation so I shouldn't be worried about it. I know I shouldn't be discouraged, and for the most part I'm not. Still, I just wish I could step on the scale every day and see progress in the downward direction.

I also realize that if I don't step on the scale every day, I'll just continue to pretend my weight isn't a problem. One of the reasons I became so fat in the first place was that I avoided scales, except when my doctor forced me onto one. Had I been weighing myself regularly, the ever-increasing numbers might have motivated me to cut back long ago.

Objectively, I realize I'm doing pretty well. I've been at this three weeks, and I've lost weight every week. I am making forward progress. Although it seems like I became obese overnight, that's not really what happened, and it's going to take a long time to undo the years of bad eating habits.

Still, I just wish it wouldn't take so long.

No comments: