Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Watch TV, Get Sick To Your Stomach

I'm always trying to look for ways to motivate myself to stick to my diet, and it seems I've found one really motivating television program. We recently started watching Inside Brookhaven Obesity Clinic, a reality TV series on The Learning Channel. It's a series about what goes on inside of a New York hospital that specializes in the treatment of the morbidly obese. Some of the patients weigh over 700 lbs, and looking at them is very sobering.

Most of the patients are so fat, that it looks like their stomachs have turned into butts on the front of their bodies. One woman was so large she had fat pockets on her legs that make it look like she had a second butt on her knees. Our 11-year-old daughter, who was watching with us exclaimed, "Oh gross, she has a stomach butt on her knees!"

I'm fat. I know I'm fat. But at least I'm not that fat. I'm scared to death that if I don't do something, I will end up that way.

After I watch an episode of that show, I feel like throwing up. After watching an episode, I don't care how hungry I am.

There, but for the grace of G-d, go I.

No comments: