Friday, May 25, 2007

Weekly Weigh-In #5

This week, my body composition doesn't look as good as it did last week, but my weight is definitely down.
Weight       245.8 lbs (-3.6)
Body Fat 48.8 % (+0.4)
Body H20 36.5 % (-0.9)
Bone Mass 7.9 lbs (+0.5)
Muscle Mass 49.1 lbs (-3.1)
For the moment, I'm less concerned about body composition as I am about overall numbers. At the moment, the sheer bulk of my body gets in the way of exercise. Last night's sit-ups went rather poorly. Although I used to be able to zap out 100 sit-ups in a very short amount of time when I was fit, last night I could barely do 30 (3 sets of 10 reps) and I wasn't able to pull my elbows all the way to my knees. Part of that problem was caused by my fat getting in my way, and part of it was that my stomach muscles are just too weak to do the job.

I guess that's just another thing to work on.

In addition to my sit-ups, I did a few other floor exercises, and it's pretty clear that before I do much in the way of sit ups, push-ups, leg lifts, etc., I clearly need to lose more weight. Although it didn't hurt, my knees and hips creaked and groaned in rather ominous-sounding ways, so I think I'll stick to walking and stair climbing for now. If my joints are sounding like old rusty hinges, that's probably a warning that I'm trying to do too much, too soon.

Overall I'm pleased with my progress. As of today, I've lost a total of 11.2 pounds, for an average loss of 2.24 pounds a week. Not bad.

No comments: