Friday, May 18, 2007

More Motivation

A shout-out goes to Shannon for telling me about the following blog:

Pastaqueen, over at Half of Me, reports that Leonard Nimoy (aka Mr. Spock from Star Trek) is taking nude photographs of obese women. If you visit Pastaqueen's blog, you'll find a link to a New York Times story about Nimoy's project, and a link to the actual photos themselves. Although the pictures are what I would consider tasteful nudes, I found them very disturbing.

Our culture has made fat ugly. When I looked at the pictures, I was disgusted. My first unedited thought was, "how could someone let themselves get so large?" I felt like I was watching a train wreck. I wanted to turn away, but I couldn't. With sick fascination, I viewed every picture, every sagging breast, roll of fat, and over-sized pair of buttocks.

Then I realized the painful truth:

I look just like the women in those pictures.

I am disgusted with myself. I don't want to look like those women.

No comments: