Thursday, April 26, 2007

Motivation

There are a lot of reasons why, after so long, I've decided to do something about my weight. For the longest time, it really didn't matter. It wasn't getting in my way, it wasn't stopping me from doing the things I wanted to do, and I really didn't care what other people thought.

Things have changed. The fat is starting to get in my way:
  • My left knee is starting to make a funny popping sound when I walk. It doesn't hurt, but I worry it is a sign of future painful problems.

  • A while back I took a long nature walk that involved climbing down a sandy hill with some friends. On the return trip, I wasn't sure I was going to make it back up the hill.

  • I want to go swimming, but I can't find a bathing suit that fits.

  • I want to go horseback riding, but I'm afraid I'll break the poor animal's back.

  • My butt doesn't fit in plastic lawn chairs very comfortably.

  • My stomach is getting so big that I can feel it just barely starting to touch my lap when I sit.

  • I know a woman who is hugely obese and has severe diabetes. She's barely able to walk, her legs are swollen to twice their normal size, and she's losing her sight. She has to live in a convalescent home in her mid-60s because she's in such bad shape. There, but for the grace of G-d, go I.

No comments: