Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Shaking It Loose

I've been very frustrated of late because it seems like my diet efforts are really stalled. I've been sticking to my plan, but things just aren't going as well as I'd like.

A few days ago, my SO had a discussion with our doctor about weight loss. The doctor said that there are two effective ways to lose weight: 1) To eat a reasonable number of calories (in the 1,200-1,300 range for women) and exercise a lot so that your body expends enough energy that it can't hold onto fat; or 2) eat an extremely low number of calories so that your body simply doesn't have enough to hold onto the fat.

Either way works, but the doctor recommended option #1 because it's hard to maintain balanced nutrition doing option #2 over an extended period of time.

My knee is getting better. It's not actively paining me, but it feels somewhat unstable when I walk on it, and it's back to making that suspicious clicking noise. Now is not the time to go on multi-mile long hikes, or take up jogging.

I really can't do much in the way of exercise right now, though I've been doing a lot of washing and waxing cars. Beyond that, there's just not much I can do until my knee heals up.

So I've decided, at least for a few days, to try and shake off some weight by going the VLCD route.

Now before everyone freaks out and leaves a bunch of dire-sounding comments, I want to say the following things:
  1. I realize that a VLCD most certainly neglects my nutritional needs and should not be maintained long-term.
  2. My body will go into "starvation mode" if I do this for too long.
  3. I'll get extremely grumpy if I do this too long.
So, dear readers, please don't freak out on me. I'm just going to do this for a few days to see if I can kick myself out of being stuck.

2 comments:

Me said...

Your doctor is right about your calorie needs for women, but those ranges are only for very short, petite women.

Go here: http://www.annecollins.com/calories/calorie-needs-women.htm

There is a little calculator you can use to calculate what you need to take in to maintain your weight. You can subtract 500 from that daily to lose one pound.

Naturally Blessed said...

yeah....not gonna sound off too much. just wanted to say that while researching weight loss, i discovered the body can hold onto to fat more when coming out of starvation mode. its a survival mechanism. so if you shake off a few pounds, it very well may come back in record timing (days not weeks).

whatever you decide to do, i hope it works both in the short and long term.