Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Cheese Curds

One of the unexpected pleasures of my vacation was that I was so active I didn't mind eating things that I would normally consider "bad" for me. My sister lives near a wonderful dairy produces the most fabulous milk, ice cream and cheese. While we were there, my sister introduced me to something I'd never eaten before -- cheese curds.

Cheese curds, for the uninitiated, is cheddar cheese before it's been properly aged. It tastes like cheese, but it's got a rubbery texture and it squeaks in your teeth when you chew it. It's good stuff, but usually can only be had in areas where cheese factories are nearby. Cheese curds lose their squeak very shortly after being produced, so they can't be transported. They don't go "bad," they just don't taste as good as they would when they are first made.

When my sister introduced me to these little morsels, I went nuts, and gobbled up almost the entire bag. I bought another bag to bring home with me, and I ate a few, but realized that I can't have them because my activity level here at home doesn't give me enough spare calories to indulge in such luxuries. I'll give the bag to my stepmother -- she loves cheese curds just as much as I do, and she's not on a diet.

It makes me want to cry.

1 comment:

Naturally Blessed said...

bleh...sorry to hear that.

have you figured out how you're gonna incorporate more activity into your current lifestyle?...excercise seems to do you sooo well. you nearly lost 5lbs while away.