Tuesday, June 12, 2007

May Day Weight Loss Challenge Weigh-In #5

This morning's weigh-in for the May Day Weight Loss Challenge was pretty good. My weight this morning was 242.8 lbs. That's down 1.2 lbs since last Tuesday's weigh-in, and down 0.6 lbs since last Friday's weigh-in. I've lost a total of 7 lbs during the May Day challenge, and 14.2 lbs since I started my diet at the end of April. In total, my loss represents 5.5% of my original body weight.

"Not bad," says I, though as usual I wish the numbers were larger.

This past week I've struggled with quite a few challenges. I've been craving ice cream in the absolute worst way. In the evenings, after everything is done, I sit down on the sofa, and wish I had a big bowl of vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce. It's been unbearable, but I haven't given in.

And no, all the wonderful ice cream substitutes people have suggested just won't do. In all my years of dieting, I've learned one lesson very clearly: if you are craving x, do not attempt to substitute y, because you'll still be craving x and you'll probably eat way more y than you should in a vain attempt to solve your original craving.

What I should do is just plan to eat some ice cream. The problem is, we've had social commitments all week that involved food, and there was no room in my plan for ice cream. And no, a tiny taste isn't going to do it. I want the mongo bowl of ice cream.

If the ice cream crave wasn't bad enough, we got some scary news about my SO's job (fortunately which seems to have resolved itself for the moment), I've been struggling with my attitude, and I'm very tired of going around hungry all the time. I'm still hanging on, but motivation is a huge struggle. I've been dieting for a total of seven weeks, and I'm just really tired.

Even though I've lost over 14 lbs, I'm still waiting to see a difference in the way my clothes fit. I'm going to a Bar Mitzvah in two weeks, so maybe I'll see a difference in the way my dress pants fit. My regular clothes don't seem even the tiniest bit looser, and I haven't seen a difference in how my undergarments fit. It makes me really hate my SO who has shrunk out of several pairs of pants to the point that they fall to the floor even with a belt.

Argh!

I keep trying to remind myself: It's not a race... It's not a race... It's not a race...

6 comments:

Mom said...

Congratulations on the weight loss! You are doing well. What I did while we were on vacation and eating a lot of restaurant food, is to eat my regular for breakfast (oatmeal and a banana) and lunch (tuna or a boca burger on pita bread or an english muffin - no mayo) and then have what would have amount to cheating for dinner, but have it early enough so it's not close to bedtime.

Really the carmel is worse than then ice cream. Maybe if you have it after dinner you will be so filled up from dinner that a smaller portion will do, rather than the mondo bowl.

But I do agree that if you don't have what you want, you will eat everything else in sight and STILL want that one thing.

For me, if it's just a craving, I try to get past it. If I am not hungry for anything else, then I know I am just craving and not hungry. I try to just put it out of my mind. It's sort of like wanting anything else, like a new car, or shopping for clothes. If I can't afford it, I can't get it and I don't dwell on it. Well, I can't afford ice cream in my lifestyle, so I just don't dwell on it. I put it out of my mind.

Sorry to write a book here!

Naturally Blessed said...

you dont like my ice cream suggestions? darn.

Oink, i'm all jealous. congratualtions are yours! wishing i had dropped 14 lbs....ahhh.

i still haven't determined what day is gonna be my weigh in day. Thursday or Sunday...dont know...i kinda started the program on thursday..but not religiously...but am starkly on track for this week...so i dunno.

(thanks for the comments.)

Denise said...

Congrats, you are doing an awesome job dear one.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

You are doing a great job! But I really STRONGLY recommend the Abs Diet. I am NEVER hungry and he also says to eat whatever you want once a week. HELLO ICE CREAM! ;-) The healthy food this author suggests makes it easy to stay on track, treat yourself once a week and make progress! You eat every 3 hours, but healthy, high protein stuff.

My husband has been basically doing this type of program and the weight is melting off of him. It's not quite as easy for women. But I am definitely making progress and I never feel deprived or starving.

Sending hugs.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Oh, and my hubby has gone down about 5 sizes. The other day he wore a suit and looked like a little boy dressing up in his daddy's clothes! Yeah, men suck when it comes to weight loss. He does no exercise either. :-P

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job! Good luck this week!!