Sunday, March 22, 2009

Day 40 - Tired of Being Tired

Before I started Cambridge Diet, I seemed to have a big problem with being tired all of the time. I just never had any energy, and even my daily chores seemed like a big effort. I thought perhaps my problem was being too fat, and not getting enough exercise. I started to cut down on the food, and we started walking as a family, but that left me even more worn out.

So I started Cambridge. I've heard many people say that when they started to lose the weight, their energy started to pop.

Well guess what?

I still don't have any energy.

I suspect it's hard to have much in the way of energy, given that three shakes only amount to 420 calories. That's barely enough juice to keep the lights on, let alone have extra energy for exercise or anything else.

But I'm hanging in.

And although yesterday's post was pretty illiterate since I was so wiped out, I've realized that food and hunger really are my two biggest enemies. Food is my enemy because I want to eat it, and hunger is my enemy because it gives me the desire to eat food.

And food is also my enemy because when I eat it, I gain weight.

I ate dinner on Friday and some food on Saturday, and even though I did make an effort to keep portion sizes down, I still managed to gain two pounds since Friday morning.

I'm not terribly worried about, because I know a couple days of sole sourcing will get rid of it. It's still discouraging to see that weight pop back on so quickly, even when I try to make good food choices.

Even when I make bad food choices, I'm still eating far less than I used to, but that doesn't seem to make a difference, either.

There's no doubt that dieting is hard, and this diet is especially so. I'm just going to keep going for as long as I can. I still have about 2.5 months of shakes left, so I'm going to keep at it until they are gone.

After that, a lot will depend on our finances and whether or not The Wife has found a new job by then.

1 comment:

Fiercest Calm said...

Hi, its Britts from minimins! I'm kind of the same when it comes to fatigue, and I'm not looking forward to being even MORE tired once I really get into CD. I guess I'll always have caffeine!

Before deciding on CD, I subscribed to the Paul Mckenna program (www.mckenna.com). I saw him on Ellen, and he hypnotized her to help her quit smoking. He does the same thing for weight loss ... but I think of it more as "thought training". The whole idea is to change how you think of food and dieting. There are 4 "golden rules" of the program, and if you follow them you will lose weight. There are a lot of people that have success with this, I just couldn't go through with it because I'm still having GB issues. My body basically rejects food (but apparently likes to keep the fat)! Anyways, here are the rules incase you're interested.

1. Eat when you are hungry. Pay attention to your body, and eat when you start to feel REAL hunger. Never let yourself feel faint or starving because that leads to faster eating and over eating.

2. Eat what you want, not what you think you should. Don't force yourself to eat diet food or put tasty foods on the "forbidden list". As soon as you do this, you will want that food even more, which could lead to overeating. If you learn to listen to what your body is craving, you will eventually eat foods that you really need, and will be more satisfied.

3. Eat consciously and ENJOY your food. I thought of this when I read that you ate KFC the other day. Paul recommends making an event out of eating -get nice place, decorate the table, turn the tv off, get rid of all distractions - and savor every bite. Thoroughly chew your food, put down the knife and fork between each bite, and pay attention to all of the sensations (taste, texture, etc). This not only trains you to appreciate food, but helps to get rid of the "food is evil" thought that many overweight people have.

4. Stop eating when you begin to feel satisfied . Stop eating when you are no longer HUNGRY, not when you are FULL (which to overweight people usually translates to STUFFED). Don't worry about being part of the clean plate club (I'm guilty of that!). When your body begins to feel satisfied, stop eating. Don't worry about getting hungry in an hour or two - you can eat again.

I know it sounds crazy, but I think this could definitely work. This is my maintenance plan for when I end CD (I'm hoping CD will help reboot my freaking digestive system and food won't hurt anymore). I was surprised at how many success stories there were on the forum. If you learn to eat the correct way (what your body wants, when it wants it) and eat in the moment, then you will still consume less calories than normal. Maybe this is something that will help you get through the weekends.

Sorry I rambled so much!