Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 22 - Weigh In #3 & Responsibility for Other People's Happiness

Despite my earlier grousing this week about my weight not budging, it seems something shook loose over the last couple of days. Today is my third weigh in.

Today's weight: 239.4 lbs, for a loss of 3.2 lbs for the week.

Not too shabby. Only 21.4 lbs to go until I'm merely obese. At this rate, of weight loss, I'll probably I'll be very close to obesity by the time the in-laws visit in April. Wouldn't it be nice for my MIL to notice I've lost weight?

Don't get me wrong. I adore my MIL. She does tend to nag me about my weight, though.

In other news, in pondering my Diet Saboteurs, I came to an important realization: I am not responsible for other people's happiness.

I know that sounds like a big duh, but when The Kid was giving me the big lecture about how bad my diet was making her feel, I was feeling really crummy. But then I realized something important -- how other people feel about my diet isn't my problem. It's their problem. So, when The Wife or The Kid start complaining how they feel so bad because I'm not eating, I'm going to let them own their own feelings.

I'm on this diet because I'm tired of being fat. I have more than 100 lbs to lose before I'll be at a weight considered healthy for my height, and I need to do something about it. So when family members whine, I'm going to have to remind myself that I'm not responsible for their unhappiness.

I'm responsible for my own happiness, not theirs.

No comments: