Wednesday, July 30, 2008

It Backfired

My absence from blogging for the last couple of days was because it backfired. Truthfully, I felt so depressed and discouraged, I decided not to write because the world doesn't really need to hear my incessant whining.

Lesson learned: exercise might be good for my health, but it doesn't seem to have much effect on my weight loss efforts.

At chez Oinkstop, the only predictor of diet success is calorie consumption. No matter what the ubiquitous "they" might say about exercise burning off calories, it doesn't work for me. Eating 1,600 calories, even if I have done enough exercise to burn off 600 of those calories, will result in a big weight gain over the weekend.

It didn't matter that I did a lot of extra walking, and that I spent most of Friday and all of Sunday deep-cleaning my house. I can sit on my ass and do nothing and eat 1,200 calories, or I can exercise my brains out and eat 1,200 calories; there is no difference. If I eat more than 1,200 calories, I'm guaranteed to put on weight.

Calories are king. Lesson learned. We won't do that again. Time to move on.

1 comment:

Princess Dieter aka Mir said...

Just about every expert I've seen, heard, read says the same thing, unless they're radical-low-carbing. Calorie is EMPRESS (since we're gals here.)

Exercise serves other purposes--builds muscle (which burns more calories), gives tone (so we don't sag as much as we lose), and adds to health and well-being (ie reducing depression, improving general mood, improving insulin response) which are adjuncts to dieting.

Exercise is, I believe, a needed component to gain health and fitness, but to lose weight, Her Majesty is what goes in.

And since the vast majority of dieters UNDERestimate how much they take in, it's even more crucial to be mindful.

Really, girl, keep moving. It's good for your heart and pancreas.

the Princess