Thursday, July 17, 2008

Weight Loss Isn't a Game of Averages

It's just too bad that weight loss doesn't seem to work on averages. Or at least that's not how it works for me.

I've been doing pretty well this past week, consistently eating below my alloted 1,200 calories. Last night, though, we had friends over. Even though I knew I should eat nothing but salad for dinner because of my big breakfast, I decided to eat a real dinner including wine and dessert, and ended up having a total of just under 1,900 calories for the day.

My average number of calories taken in for the week has been about 1,100 per day. If I figure in exercise, I'm running at about 984 calories per day. I would think that, on average, I should be loosing weight. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working so well this week. Blowing it last night turned into a two pound gain overnight. Between that and the weight I gained from doing all the home improvement work, I'm actually up three pounds since Sunday morning.

Sigh.

Oh well, I'm making a real effort to be good today, so hopefully I'll be rewarded at the scale tomorrow morning.

I have a feeling, though, the only way I'm going to get rid of this weight is to just suck it up and go on a VLCD for an extended period of time. I did hear from the Cambridge people (which I will post about later) and some samples are on the way. If it's not too terrible-tasting, this may end up being the route I go.

No comments: