Friday, August 10, 2007

Weekly Weigh-In #16

Well, here I am on week 16 of my never-ending diet. Here are my results. This is what I've managed to do in two weeks, since I wasn't home for my weigh-in last Friday.
Weight       234.2 lbs (-2.2)
Body Fat 48.3 % (-0.2)
Body H20 36.6 % (+0.2)
Bone Mass 7.7 lbs (-0.0)
Muscle Mass 46.5 lbs (-0.0)
So there you have it. Down just a bit over 2 lbs from two weeks ago, and down 0.8 lbs from Tuesday's weigh-in.

This is definitely not happening fast enough for me.

I've had another frustrating setback when it comes to exercise, too. Not only am I still struggling with the continuing problems of achy joints and sore muscles, a problem that I've experienced before has returned -- exercise-induced urticaria.

Exercise-induced urticaria, for those unfamiliar, is a syndrome where you break out in hives from exercise. It turns out that I am literally allergic to exercise. I've had this happen in the past, but it had mysteriously gone away on it's own. Yesterday afternoon I had an unpleasant lesson that taught me the problem has not gone away. I walked over to the repair shop to pick up my truck, and by the time I got there, I was itching like crazy. When I made it home a half hour later, I was covered with massive, itchy welts.

The worst part was that I wasn't even working that hard. I was walking quickly, but I wasn't getting myself overly tired. My pulse rate and breathing were up a little, but this wasn't like I was really trying to overtax my body in any way. I was just trying to walk over to the shop, not win a race. I definitely was not trying to arrive their out-of-breath and sweaty.

The experience was absolutely awful. I had hives on my face, scalp, neck, chest, back, arms and thighs. I itched all over, and by the time I arrived home some of the largest welts were a half-inch to an inch in diameter. I took two antihistamine tablets and the itching started to subside within a few minutes, but the welts persisted for several hours and the medication made me sleepy. I spent the remainder of the day in bed. The worst part of all of this was that I had to babysit a friend's three-year-old while The SO had to run an errand. I could barely keep my eyes open to watch him. The SO had to leave the boy with me because the boy's parents neglected to leave us a car seat.

I will definitely think twice about going for another walk any time soon. Maybe I really should try the Cambridge diet, since I know it's very effective. I was on the diet back in the 1980's, and it really did work, though it was pretty hard to stick to because I really didn't care for the taste all that much. It looks like exercise is definitely out for the time being because I'm definitely not up for repeating the cycle of exercise, break out in hives, take antihistamines, and fall asleep for the rest of the day.

No comments: