Monday, August 13, 2007

Does This Mean We Are Quitting Our Diet?

This weekend was not very diet-friendly.

On Friday, we went to the airport with a friend to pick up his mother- and father-in-law. They were flying into town to celebrate our friend's daughter's birthday. After we picked them up at the airport, we went out to dinner at a restaurant known for fabulous food.

I hadn't eaten much all day (only two instant breakfasts, one for breakfast and one for lunch) so I was hungry and ate what I wanted. It was good. Four of us shared a piece of mud pie.

On Saturday, we went out for breakfast with a friend who is leaving for graduate school in Denver, and we went to our friend's daughter's birthday party. They served hot dogs (I had one) and cake (I had a small piece). That evening The SO decided we should go out for ice cream. I had the smallest sized scoop they sell.

On Sunday, we went out for lunch at a greasy-spoon diner. We had gone for a drive, passed by this restaurant in a converted rail car, and decided to stop. The place has been their for years, but we've never eaten there. The food was ok, not special, so we won't eat there again. The location was very cool, the ambiance even cooler, but the food was only so-so and the service was slower than a herd of turtles.

We decided to split a dessert three ways.

"Does this mean we are quitting our diet?" asked The SO.

I glared. "No!"

The SO seems to have the thought that diets are a binary condition. Either you are on them or you aren't, and there's no room for life anywhere in the middle. Now I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to spend the rest of my days eating twigs and leaves. Every once in a while I just have to have real food, and that's it.

So I ate real food this weekend, and had to listen to the chorus of, "should you be eating that?" all weekend.

Shut up, already, I wanted to say. This morning I had my instant breakfast, and I'll probably have another for lunch. In the overall scheme of things, I am going to be fine.

I did skip my weigh-in this morning, though. If it was up, I just didn't want to hear a chorus of "I told you so!" from the peanut gallery.

No comments: