Monday, August 6, 2007

Making the Best of It

A few days ago, I blogged about truck shopping, which was really a post about setting my sights a little lower when it comes to weight loss. This post is another along a similar vein, so even if you aren't interested in trucks, RVs or camping, in the end I'll get to how this relates to weight loss, so if you can stand it, hang in for the ride.

While we were camping this past weekend, I came across a campsite that had an absolutely beautiful truck and trailer for sale. I spotted a 2005 luxury fifth wheel and matching truck that had a huge for sale sign, so I stopped to talk to the owner. I ended up getting a tour of both the truck and fifth wheel, and I have to say that both were amazing. The price tag, of course, was staggering. Even though the truck and trailer were two years old and substantially discounted, the owner still wanted $80,000 for the pair.

They were beautiful, and would be so worth it. I was honestly quite tempted. I really was. But the truth is I can no more manage to gather $80,000 into one place than I could grow wings and fly to the moon. In fact, I'd probably have more luck working on the moon project than amassing $80K in a pile. I can't think of any lender who would loan me that amount of money for a depreciating asset like a truck/trailer pair.

But I sure wanted that truck and trailer.

I spent the weekend enjoying myself, and imagining what my life would be like if I had that lovely trailer. I quickly realized that it was kind of a dead-end exercise. There's not a lot of point in dreaming about something I can't possibly ever own. Sure, it's one thing to dream of owning a better truck and trailer, but it's another thing to imagine one of such expense. It's like a homeless guy dreaming of moving into a 10,000-square-foot mansion next week. It's fun to dream, perhaps, but it ain't never going to happen.

So I picked up another copy of the local auto advertising magazine, and looked for trucks and trailers there. I found a few that were interesting, but I did the math. I didn't have enough money to pay cash for any of them, and only the oldest, most beat up ones could I afford if I could manage to secure a loan.

This morning, I had to take my truck in to have a panel repainted. The truck had been entirely repainted after an accident seven years ago, and the paint was still under warranty. While the shop had the truck, I asked them to replace the front grille (not under warranty) because the original factory paint and chrome was flaking off. I also asked them to replace some of the trim, because it was getting old and cracked from sun damage.

I spent more money that is probably "worth it" for an old pick up truck, but I realized this morning fixing up my truck and trailer and making them nice again will be a lot cheaper than buying replacements. Sure, I'll spend some money in the short term, but I won't be making hugely expensive payments month after month. I might spend what would amount to a couple of month's payments on new gear, but once I've paid for it, the payments stop.

In other words, I think the honest answer is to make the best of what I've got, rather than trying to do something different. I have what I have, and that's it. The trucks and trailers I can afford aren't measurably better than what I already have, so I might as well make due with what I have.

And I guess the truth is that's the same thing I need to do about my body.

Sure, I want to be thinner. I want to look and feel better. The truth is, it's not going to happen overnight. I'm not going to be able to crash diet and lose 100 pounds in six months any more than I'm going to be able and go out and buy that $80,000 truck and trailer I want so badly. I can start a savings plan now so that down the road I might be able to buy a better truck and trailer, but it's not going to happen any time soon.

I can diet, and make changes in my life, but I don't think I'm going to notice many differences any time soon.

I guess, really, I just need to make the best of what I have, and hang in there. Eventually, if I stick to the plan, I'll be able to save enough for my new RV. Eventually, if I stick to the plan, I'll lose weight and be healthier.

1 comment:

Naturally Blessed said...

this, my friend, is 'gospel'.