Wednesday, August 29, 2007

If You Weren't So Expensive, I Would Surely Kill You By Now

Have you ever owned an expensive piece of equipment that is so frustrating you want to break it? If you have ever worked with a computer, I suspect you've probably felt that way at one time or another.

This morning, I feel the same way about our very pricey bathroom scale.

Yesterday was a deliberately very-low-calorie day so we could wrap up with a trip to the ice cream store. It was delicious. When we got home, The SO decided to step on the scale and see what the damage was. The scale showed a three pound loss since morning.

WTF?

I jumped on and the scale claimed I'd lost two pounds since the morning. Not possible. "Something is wrong with the scale," I claimed.

We dug our our old bathroom scale -- the frustrating digital scale that changes the displayed weight every time you breathe. It showed each of us about five pounds higher that the weight our supposedly super-expensive, super-accurate scale claimed.

Double WTF??

We spent the next 20 minutes changing batteries, weighing 10-lb bags of bird seed, and stepping on one scale and then the other. We even tried to weigh ourselves on a freight scale we bought for eBay, but it only had a weight limit of 150 lbs. At one point, The SO bumped the fancy scale, quite hard by accident, and then the numbers started to match what the older scale claimed.

So this morning, I weighed 232, not 229 like I did Tuesday morning.

I am so annoyed. This is not the first time this has happened. Last time, I thought it was just a problem with batteries.

Is it possible to commit scale murder?

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Awww I can really sympathise with you. I have to put my scale in a particular spot in the bathroom for it to be right ;) LOL

Vics xx

Mich said...

damn. I HATE IT when I break the 130lb mark.

seriously, I am laughing out loud. I hope the scale starts to cooperate.

Anonymous said...

The obvious answer here is STOP WEIGHING!!! Your body will respond to your diet program. You probably wasted a good evening trying to get "the numbers right", and your body is what it is, right here, right now.