Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Day 50 - Breaking a Barrier

I've been really trying to resist my habit of scale-hopping, but the truth is, I just can't help myself. The scale sits there on the bathroom floor, staring at me, and I just can't resist. Some days, I'll jump on it 3 or 4 times.

I know, bad me.

This morning, my scale hopping made me very happy. I've broken a new barrier, and I weighed 229.0 lbs this morning. Of course today isn't my official weigh-in day, but it makes me happy nonetheless to know that my diet holiday didn't ruin things too badly.

I can't remember when I last weighed in the 220's, so this is a good thing.

Now, all I have to so is lose 11 more lbs and then I'll just be obese instead of morbidly obese.

I've been doing a pretty good job of sticking to just shakes since the beginning of the week, and I know it's making a difference. It's difficult, but my motivation, at least for the moment, is high.

With the exception of my Deaf buddy, who knows I am on a diet, nobody has noticed I've lost any weight. Yesterday, a friend stopped by the house, and I expected she, of all people, would notice. This particular friend had a heart attack a few years ago, and has become very health-conscious. Anyway, I haven't seen her in a month or two, so I figured she would notice I'd lost a few pounds.

Not a word. Pretty discouraging when I realize I've lost 28 lbs from my highest weight.

Of course I guess if I am not noticing the weight loss, nobody else is likely to notice either.

1 comment:

SeaShore said...

I was disappointed with how long it took other people to notice, too. People didn't start commenting until after 40 lbs.

I think some people do notice, but they aren't entirely sure if their minds are playing tricks, or if you are wearing something different that day that makes you look slimmer, so they don't say anything for fear of offending you. I actually had a coworker say , "Have you lost weight? No, nevermind, it's the outfit, isn't it?" when I had lost 50 pounds!!

You're doing really well. Don't worry. They'll notice!