Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cambridge Diet

Well, I've been thinking about this for a while, and I know I really need to do something to get my weight down. The December holidays were extremely unkind to me, and even though I've making a dedicated effort to walking 2.5 to 3 miles each day, my holiday weight gain hasn't budged at all.

The "lose weight slowly" idea isn't working. I feel like I'm riding a roller coaster -- at the end of a bumpy ride, I end up right back where I started.

So today I took the plunge, and I bought a 30-day supply of the Cambridge Diet. Yeah, I know it's probably not healthy, and yeah, I know I should probably do something else like counting calories, joining Weight Watchers, or just about anything else, but the idea of being on a diet for another year, and having nothing to show for it in the end is really discouraging.

I've been trying to lose weight since April 2007, and I've made virtually no progress. It sucks. I'm tired of being fat, and I'm tired of everything taking for [expletive deleted] ever.

This lady lost 125 pounds on Cambridge in six months. A very nice lady named Janet from Cambridge Direct Sales answered a bunch of questions I had about the product and sent me a few samples. I can't say the stuff tastes yummy, but it's at least edible.

So, why not?

To silence the worriers out there in cyberspace, I will mention what I'm doing when I see my doctor next. My next appointment will be sometime between now and May when one of my prescriptions runs out. I'm going to delay as long as possible so perhaps I'll be able to re-lose the weight I lost before my last doctor visit. If I don't, I know I'll end up setting myself up for a rash of nagging I really don't want to hear.

Yeah, I'm fat. I get it. Quit nagging.

Well my doctor isn't really that much of a nag. She's morbidly obese, too, but I think she went and had her stomach stapled a while back. The past few times I've had an appointment with her, she's appeared to be smaller, and she has mentioned that fateful question at least once. "Have you considered weight loss surgery?"

Um, yeah, I have considered it, and I have only one answer:

No thanks.

I've had more than my fair share of troubles with GI upset and diarrhea since I had my gallbladder out nine years ago. I'm not going to invite someone to cut me open and scramble my already-malfunctioning insides even further. Besides, my health insurance won't pay for anything they consider to be elective surgery.

Of course that doesn't make sense -- they are willing to absorb the high costs of treating heart disease, high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes, but they aren't willing to cover a procedure that might help people not get those conditions in the first place.

But that's okay, because I wouldn't let someone perform that surgery on me, even if they paid me.

No comments: