Monday, February 25, 2008

Doctor Visit

I have been sick.

Sick, sick, sick, sick, sick.

So I finally went to the doctor.

Though the reason I went to the doctor actually had very little to do with feeling under the weather. The reason I went was because I got a jury summons. I went to the doctor to write me an excuse note so I wouldn't have to go, since I've had a problem with irritable bowel symptoms off and on ever since I had my gallbladder taken out eight years ago.

Not that I would mind so much serving on a jury. I just think they would mind, as soon as I started bounding out of the jury box for multiple potty trips.

So I went to the doctor. She was pleased -- I've lost ten pounds since my previous visit last May.

Ten pounds? WTF???

By my reckoning, I've lost at least 20. Now, I'll agree that there's going to be a certain amount of variation between my scale and the doctor's scale, but I don't understand how I can show a 20-lb loss at home, and come up with only half of that at the doctor's office.

Can you spell discouraging? I knew you could.

We talked about a variety of things. She was happy I'd lost ten pounds. We talked about my ongoing problem with exercise-induced urticaria (hives), and she recommended that I consider cutting aspirin, tomatoes, fish, strawberries and nuts from my diet. She also recommended that I think about taking an over-the-counter anti-histamine before I exercise. She also suggested that an over-the-counter acid reducer such as ranitidine hydrochloride might help, as it has anti-histamine properties as well.

I don't think I'm too interested in giving up any of those foods, so I'm going to try going the anti-histamine route and exercising before I eat.

Bother.

The doctor also said that my dirty rotten cold had moved into my ears, and she thought I had the beginnings of an ear infection. I ended up coming home with a huge list of drugs, both OTC, and prescription. Some $80 later, I had an antibiotic, a cough suppressant, an expectorant, and two different types of anti-histamines. Oh, and a 7-day supply of a popular sleeping pill that sometimes causes sleep eating because I mentioned that I haven't been sleeping worth a darn for the past several months because of all of our legal hassles involving The Kid.

My insurance won't cover the $150 prescription, so a 7-day supply will have to do. When I found out my insurance wouldn't cover it, I told the doctor to forget it, but she told me to at least get the 7-day trial from the drug company's Web site, and we'll see what happens after that. Sleep is important, but I don't think it's $150 worth of important.

I don't have trouble falling asleep, I just can't stay that way. Once I wake up, then I can't go back to sleep, and I'll spend hours tossing and turning. It's making me tired, and I'm sure it doesn't help my weight loss efforts one bit.

Even though I am still moving in the right direction, I have to admit that losing a measly 20 pounds (or 10 pounds, if I go with what the doctor's scale says) in 10 months is pretty crummy.

I guess I'm going to have to hire a personal trainer or something...

Bleah.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When you weighed yourself at home, were you nekked? I suppose at the doc's office you were fully clothed, with shoes. That would account for at LEAST 8 pounds right there!

I know what you mean about falling asleep and being able to stay asleep. I've had that problem for years.

When I first climb into bed and lay my head down on the pillow, I have absolutely no problem falling asleep almost immediately. But an hour or so later, I'm up.

Then all night long I am just on the verge of sleeping and WHAM! I'm up. It's very nerve-wracking because the next day I'm exhausted. Roll your eyes up into your head exhausted. And it's dangerous too! Especially while driving.

I've not found a solution. Ambien definitely was NOT the answer. I had the "sleepwalking" issues along with a gazillion other people.

There HAS to be a way to resolve it.