Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Look Great in 2008 (Week 1)

I haven't been posting (or even paying that much to my diet) recently because I've just had some really horrendous things happen in my personal life. The Kid has been exhibiting some significant behavioral problems which are driving us crazy. Some is "normal kid stuff" for her age, but some is just so over-the-top it is not to be believed.

Then one of our birds died.

Then things at work started to go crazy.

Then another of our birds got sick, and our new vet (we had to fire the old one because she was so overbooked we could never get an appointment) tells us that she might have something lethal and contagious, and all the rest of our flock in our house might die of this disease. Fortunately, this isn't something humans can catch, but it's quite upsetting.

Of course the key word is might. This vet might be one of those doctors that always assumes it's the worst possible scenario until he rules it out. The state of avian medicine is not nearly as advanced as it is for dogs and cats, so we are dealing with a big unknown at the moment.

But the stress is just unimaginable. I have several large and intelligent parrots, and the idea of losing them is just overwhelming.

My weight this morning was 233.6. That's up almost five pounds from my lowest weight, but since I've never been able to reproduce that weight, I think it was a fluke. My scale has a history of malfunctioning periodically and showing weights that are 5, 10, and even 15 pounds lighter than the actual weight of the person standing there. My weight is up 1.4 lbs from my last known reliable weight, but truthfully I really don't care right now. I feel like I have much bigger fish to fry than worrying about what my stupid scale tells me.

5 comments:

Lisa Kay said...

Best wishes to you and your bird situation. Our pet is like a family member.

And, I have a digital scale, too, so when I get some really good "news" from it, I tend to not believe it until I see the same number two days in a row. Frustrating!

But, we're still working on it, right??

Have a good week,
Lisa Kay

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

I'm so sorry your life has been so crazy and traumatic. Hope this week is much better for you. Hang in there. And I'll be praying the bird does not have anything lethal and contagious.
Path to Health

Naturally Blessed said...

i am sooo sorry for your loss. i've seen several spectacular specials on parrots and now better understand how incredibly smart and so full of personality these beautiful creatures are.

i'm hoping that your new vet is simply a worst case scenario kind of guy...

keep your head up....the storm will pass eventually. it always does.

thinking of you......{{{{{oink}}}}}}

Donetta said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your dear bird. I hope you have a better tomorrow.

dancer-in-me said...

Sorry for your loss. I hope the other birds aren't serious as the vet might think.

I am struggling with you diet wise. I can't seem to get back on track and my weight is up about 4lbs.

We can do this!! Don't give up cause I am not!