Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Met My First Goal of the Year

On Sunday, I met my first goal of the year. It was to weigh-in and exercise daily with my Wii Fit. I hit my goal, which I was very pleased about.

I promised myself a reward for hitting it, but now I can't think of anything I want. I guess bragging rights that I exercised daily are good enough.

Of course last month's weight loss was not all that impressive. I think I lost all of about 5 lbs.

I have two goals for February:
  1. Exercise and weigh-in every day.
  2. Stick to alternate day fasting until the end of the month.
The alternate day fasting seems to be working. Most of the weight I lost last month was after I started ADF.

So far, it hasn't been too bad sticking to plan on the fasting days, though yesterday was really hard. It wasn't so hard because I was hungry, but because I'd finished my can of chocolate Cambridge mix and was back to the strawberry.

Yesterday morning, I drank less than half of my shake and I simply could not stomach one more mouthful of the stuff. It was so bad I told The Wife to throw the rest of it away. I'm going to stick to chocolate from now on.

I ended up finishing up the day not with shakes, but with a small amount of grilled chicken for lunch and some baked salmon for dinner. I'm pretty sure my calorie counts were under the limit, because my weight was down this morning.

The one thing I'm noticing, though, is that I'm rapidly losing my tolerance for food that falls short of excellent. I find myself frustrated and even angry when, on my eating days, something lands on my plate that doesn't taste absolutely delicious.

Take today's lunch, for example. The Wife made a stir fry with some chicken and veggies we had on hand. We were supposed to have a better lunch, as I'd made a trip to the store, but once I got there I discovered I couldn't pay because The Wife had borrowed my credit card for something and failed to put it back in my wallet. No wallet meant no groceries, so we made due with what we had on hand.

Before I started ADF, it wouldn't have occurred to me to complain. I would have scarfed up the lunch and not given it a second thought. But today, knowing that I won't be eating tomorrow, I was really pissed off. I had to bite my tongue so as not to berate my wife for serving me anything less than delicious.

I've only been doing ADF for a bit more than a week, but already I'm noticing that it's making my profoundly demanding in my expectations for food. I've never been a picky eater (probably one of the myriad reasons I'm morbidly obese) and historically I'd pretty much eat anything you put on my plate within reason. But now, I only want excellent food. When I don't get it, I feel shortchanged and angry.

No comments: