Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Couch to 5K - Week 7

Well it's actually hard to believe, given my history with starting and stopping exercise and diet programs, but I'm still doing the Couch to 5K program. I've completed everything to Week 7, Day 1. This means that I'm now "running" for 25 minutes at a stretch.

I put the term "running" in quotes because I'm not going very fast. It happened Monday I decided to do my run on the treadmill, and after walking my warm-up time on the "warm up" setting of the treadmill, I couldn't even keep up with the slowest "fat burn" setting.

I suck. The truth is that I can't run a whole lot faster than I can walk. It's pretty pathetic, but at least I'm making an effort.

In other areas, I have some good news and bad news.

The Good News

The good news is that I've lost 20 lbs since my last doctor's visit.

The Bad News

I'm still trying to find the right dose of thyroid medication and I continue to feel like crap. This morning I went to see my Nurse Practitioner, and she informed me that I am now hyperthyroid. Since I'm still showing many of the hypothyroid symptoms, she referred me to an MD who works in the clinic. I'm really kind of irritated about this, because I'm tired of feeling crummy and I'm tired of having to hassle with this folks week after week in a futile attempt to get my medications right.

The question I want answered is, if I am now hyperthyroid and still dieting, why haven't I seen any incredible weight loss over the past few weeks? The truth is, the 20 lbs I lost happened within the first month. My weight loss as absolutely stalled since Labor Day, so it doesn't make any sense.

I'll go see the doctor (and miss some more work, which will make me insanely popular) and we'll see what happens.

But goodness, I'm getting VERY tired of this!

No comments: