Friday, May 25, 2007

Double Digits

Today is the first day where my official weigh-in has shown a total loss that finally makes it into double-digit numbers. Although 11.2 pounds is still a small amount in the overall amount of weight I have to lose, it feels like a start. A small milestone has been achieved.

Any time someone has to lose more than 100 pounds (or in my case 139 pounds) every 10-pound mark is important. I've lost a bit more than 10 pounds in a month, so if I'm able to keep up the pace, I'll be at my goal weight in approximately 13 months. If I keep it up, by the end of summer I should be at my first mini-goal of 218 pounds. If I make that goal, then my BMI will finally be below 30, and then I'll be able to tell people that I'm just obese, instead of morbidly obese.

That sounds pretty twisted, doesn't it? "Hey, guess what, I'm obese! Isn't that great news?"

See, this is another reason why I'm not telling people I'm on a diet. Nobody would ever understand why someone is happy to be obese.

I suspect my mother would roll her eyes and say, "that's gross!"

So far, nobody has noticed any changes in my body, and in a way I'm grateful. Although it's nice to be complimented, when you lose a lot of weight, people have to mention how fat you were before. "Hey, you look great!" is really a nicer way of saying , "OMG, you were so fat before, you look much better now." Yeah, it's a compliment, but I'm not sure it's something I want to be complimented on in the first place.

The commenter I dread the most is my mother. I do have to give her credit for being honest and saying what she thinks, but sometimes I don't want to hear what she has to say. When she starts noticing that I'm losing weight, I expect to hear a lot of comments about how fat I was before. Once I've lost the weight, I don't think I'm going to want to be continually reminded about how humongous I was before. I certainly don't want to forget that I was morbidly obese, as forgetting where you came from breeds complacency, but I don't want to be reminded every minute of the day, either.

We'll see. Maybe I'm just not giving her enough credit.

No comments: