Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Family Food Pressures

We had a meeting today with someone who was from England. She was talking about tea and crumpets (for U.S. readers, a crumpet is similar to an English muffin) dripping with butter, fish and chips, and a variety of greasy, not-good-for-you, but tasty foods.

After that conversation, my partner was craving fish and chips and wanted them for lunch.

"I'd rather not have so many calories for lunch," I told her.

According to calorie-count.com, one breaded and fried fish fillet contains 211 calories. A small serving (85 grams) of French fries contains 291 calories.

A barely minimum-sized lunch would mean at least two fish fillets and fries for a whopping 713 calories. Of course the damage for me is worse, since my daily allotment of calories is pretty low. At 1,200 calories a day, a fish and chips lunch would take a pretty big bite out of what I'm allowed to eat.

Sorry, partner, I don't want to go to bed hungry.

I ended up eating my leftovers from my Sunday dinner with family, while my partner and our kid ate sandwiches for lunch. Not surprisingly, the leftovers didn't taste nearly as good as they had at the restaurant. Reheated pasta doesn't usually fare too well, and the negative associations that went with the meal left a less-than-wonderful taste in my mouth. Next time, I'll just order the appetizer and skip the entree altogether.

Or maybe next time I should just plan on getting together with family when food isn't involved.

As I've said before, in their eyes I can never be too rich or too thin.

No comments: